In Training!

Keeping tabs on what happens in between marathons...

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Search and Destroy

I'm sitting at my desk at work on break, sorting peanut M&M's by color and I realize that like the number of peanut M&M's in a king size package, there are many reasons why I run.

One of the better writer's on the subject of running, John Bingham put it simply: I am runner because I say I am a runner. It doesn't matter if I run 1 mile or 100 miles; or if I run because I am trying to lose weight, I am a runner when I say I am a runner. But he did not answer the question of why I run. He wasn't eating M&Ms and he did not realize that each M&M seems to be a reason.

I run so that I can eat at Curtis' BBQ and eat packages of king size peanut M&Ms without too much worry. I run to honor my body. I run so my mind can wander and come back clear. I run because I sit at a desk all day and instinct cries out that humans are supposed to move. I RUN, I don't jog. I run to annoy snowmobilers in the winter by not giving way on snowcovered trails. I run because it makes me feel good. I have never once felt regret over the time spent running. I run to find my limits. I run because it fills a need. I run because I always run against my greatest competitor: myself. And for the extra portions of food. I run for the food. I run for pancakes and pie, and reuben sandwiches, and sausage and BBQ and donuts. I run because...

I run in Pearl Izumi SyncroFloat2 and SyncroSeek2 shoes. I run in black shorts. I run in shirts that have soaked up years and miles worth of sweat and no matter how often I wash them, they still smell awful. I run with a green watch on my left wrist and I stop it any time I stop, for any reason even when I hesitate at a crosswalk. My socks wear through on the back of my heels and my heels themselves are calloused and blistered. I am a stocky runner with quick leg turnover and I must be blessed with a decent heart and lungs to be able to move my 5'4" frame fairly quick. I traded in the raw speed of my high school days for endurance. I eat GU and prefer water to gatoraid, but I'll drink the latter on a long run. I listen to music when I run; why seperate my two passions? I use the iPod shuffle and I am forever skipping songs. This week, I have listened to "Search and Destroy" by Iggy and the Stooges on every single run/workout.
I'm a streetwalkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm. Thank you Iggy. Thank you.
I am a runner.

3 Comments:

  • At March 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”

    --Lao Tzu

     
  • At March 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You may think you are running so you can eat those M&M's but on April 21 you are running for so many others.

    Keep up the good work!!

     
  • At March 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As far as we are concerned Chris, you crossed the finish line with your first step down this selfless road. We are proud of you, big hearted human.

    David + Leslie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home